Sunday, April 1, 2007

Perceptions on Technology's Role in the Classroom

The master teachers of the Information Age are those who develop the capacity to navigate the worldwide oceans of information and selectively retrieve that which can provide an enriched experience for their learners. I feel if teachers know exactly what to look for on the web, how to search for and locate sites, and evaluate sites will be able to save time and provide beneficial information to the learner.

How teachers manage information has a major impact on the outcome of the teaching-learning process. Technology facilitates and amplifies the teacher's capacity to provide learners with information of higher fidelity in an individualized, interactive mode. I believe that teachers who thoroughly manage information for lessons and integrate it through technology will achieve positive learner results.

Teachers plan, communicate, guide, and evaluate. Information technology can be adapted to allow the teacher to do these better and, thus, impact positively the efficiency of the teaching-learning process. I agree that information technology helps guide teacher instruction. It allows the teacher to view and evaluate multiple sources based on criteria and specific needs for planning purposes.

There is compelling evidence that learning is heightened when teachers create visually rich experiences, this engaging the learner's entire brain-rather than only half. I believe that a well rounded education is achieved not only by hearing it but by seeing visuals as well.

In great part, the effectiveness of the communication phase of the teaching-learning process determines the outcome. A teacher must communicate information clearly, therefore evaluating information on websites is crucial before teaching it. A teacher must make sure the information is clear and accurate, not misleading or difficult to decipher.

Information technology skillfully integrated into the curriculum will allow teachers to improve the fidelity, relevancy, and accessibility of the information they make available to learners. It is proposed that this empowers teachers so that they might do what they do-better. I feel that teachers who integrate information technology with curriculum will see positive results. Not only on assignments, but how students will continue to use information technology in many areas.

I know that I will benefit from the knowledge I have gained in this class. When I am a school librarian, I plan on using information technology in a number of areas. Not only will I use it for myself, but I plan on using it directly with the students, teachers and administrators. I have many ideas about what I am going to do. I can't wait to create a library website where I will be able to incorporate them.

No comments: