Monday, April 16, 2007

Primary Sources and NARA

When I read Alan November's chapter on using primary sources, I couldn't wait to check out the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) website. www.archives.gov/index.html Once I got on the website, I didn't want to stop browsing it. It is full of historical facts with original, first-hand documents, manuscripts, photographs, newspaper articles, films, etc.

I am so thankful to learn how to find primary resources. I have so many ideas on how I am going to use this information as a school librarian. This will be a great tool to use with middle school students. I plan on developing a page on my website dealing with information and links to primary sources. I will use the, "Questions for using Primary Sources," (on page 61) as a guideline when helping students. I will also generate questions (as on page 67) to help students think critically about primary source material. The worksheets (pages 71-73) are a great way to help guide students to evaluating primary sources.

No comments: