Saturday, April 28, 2007

Technology-Enhanced Curriculum

As I was reading Romano's ideas on the implementation of a Technology-Enhanced Curriculum (TEC), I thought to myself, "Will this be possible?" I like all his ideas and implementation strategies. I think it would be a very difficult and long process. I think that it may be achievable, but will take many years.

The costs are enormous. I think that it would be a great idea for each school district to develop their own TEC implementation plans, then find grants and other ways to help pay for the program. For a school district to have TEC, they must have the technological equipment/software, to have the equipment/software, they need to have money to pay for it.

While reading the text, I thought about the Forney School District. I taught 7th grade technology in Forney, last year. Students from a particular elementary school were more technologically advanced than my other students in class. I found out that one elementary school was chosen as a test to see how successful students/teachers would be by each having their own lap-top computers. Teachers were to implement lesson plans with the use of the lap-tops. These students in my class were already able to use most of the technology applications as well understand how to use them with assignments. The elementary students have used the computer lap-tops for the last 3 years. I just found out recently that since it has been a success, the school district has now accumulated funds to provide every student/teacher a lap-top at the middle school level, beginning next year. The district plans on providing lap-tops for all elementary and high school students in the very near future. The teachers at the middle school have already received their lap-tops to begin planning assignments for next year. I think that this is a smart idea. Testing to see how the students respond to the use of technology and working out problems that arise from the test. I am sure that the middle school faculty expect and will experience many problems next year. This is to be expected with any new implementation. In the long run, I think that it will be so beneficial in preparing students to succeed in a technological world.

No comments: